

Student Senate Agenda
March 19, 2012

- I. Call to Order**
- II. Attendance**
- III. Approval of Minutes from March 12, 2012**
- IV. Community Comment**
- V. Appointments**

Chair: We're skipping this until next week.

Gust: is skipping this constitutional?

Chair: high level of interest, waiting to talk to them first, it's fine.

- a. Sophomore Class Representative
- b. Complex Representative

- VI. Finance Committee**

- a. Student Senate Midyear

Best: Co-Presidents would like money for the Dive Architect project and the new Robert's Rules that we are obligated to use.

Prince: Warren Wunderlich is our friend, helping us keep costs down. We are confident we won't have to put more than \$10,000 towards it.

Jacob Lundborg: Prepared Remarks: Telling us a story of a British Chivalric order, given out to people dealing in foreign service, their motto: "A token of a better age." Tonight we can make our own token, although it is a lot of dolla billz, we were elected to look into the future and serve people by making positive change for students. Let us do this not because it is easy but because it is hard. May this be remembered for 70 and 70 years as our finest hour by future Gusties!

Hoppe: Clarify what this is for?

Prince: 3 step process, finalizing what we are looking for to decide where architect will begin, then open it up to more people on campus, get ideas, images and concepts to be able to bring to faculty and awards.

Vote: Motion to approve 10,011.72 for Dive Architect Project

JoNes: Huge \$\$\$, so we must roll call.

Passes with unanimous consent.

- VII. Co-President Report**

Prince: Created awesome mission statement. Keep it in mind while fulfilling your duties.

- Tuesday the 27th, 7-8:30pm presidents round table

- Look for an email about workshop visit, wants to have students go when they can to talk to architects to give them feedback.

- VIII. Committee Reports**

- a. Health and Housing

- i. Meeting with Charlie Potts to discuss Chapel View delayed. Eric met with Ray Thrower.
- j. Best: safer route, including chapel view could add 20 minutes to that route, exploring new ways to increase safety. Soft path and lighting on route students would be most likely to take to get there. Electronic Gate is an option.

- k. Thayer getting ball rolling on AED project. Approval from important people to get funding, filling out grants and talking to donors. Now we're talking about locations.
- l. Housing Open House is next Saturday, please commit to it even though there are conflicts.

JoNes: Ohle and I are on board with the electronic gate, will likely happen.

Gust: Are you addressing costs of living increase in Chapel View

Bryz: In meeting tomorrow dealing with many issues including costs

Lundborg: Look into parking, that's important.

Best: talked with Ray about parking, there will be visitor parking, still working it out.

JoNes: It's getting bigger, so a lot in the design phase. People aren't hiding info, just trying to figure it all out.

Gust: Construction will happen.

Goldstein: GusBus needs to stop there. It does.

Prince: GusBus operates generally on a route, but more or less taxi service. No need to tell them to add anything. Please don't return to a route, it's going to maintain itself.

b. The Streets

i. Working on crosswalk for Arbor View, nobody wants to pay for it.

j. Started to try and get lighting by Co-ed where it is dark.

k. Problems with parking being worked on, talking with ResLife.

Gust: Loves to explore parking situation during campus events, people park in Red but never get tickets, people parking in Green get tickets right away. Why does this happen.

Coco: What do you mean?

Gust: People who have no stickers.

Ostendorf: On weekends they don't take that into account, not fair to people who don't have stickers, also sucks for people with stickers who can't park because they are being taken up by visitors during weekends.

Prince: Issue isn't that campus safety doesn't notice, question is enforcement.

Loose: If name isn't in the database through having a sticker, they don't know who you are. If you don't go here they have no way to make them pay, but they can tow you.

JoNes: If they tow you and have lots of ticket expenses they will charge you. Have a conversation with Ray, stickerless people have to do with events. If you see parking violations call campus safety to ticket them.

Prince: Problems arise because of events, can't easily enforce. We don't want to tow our guests all the time.

Loose: Safety and Security won't give tickets to potential prospectives.

Gray: We do enforce on weeknights. Arent guaranteed perfect spot with a red pass.

Schmitt: JoNes why don't we have event only parking?

JoNes: 10 years ago talked about it, event parking would be close to events, wouldn't want to have these spots vacant 97% of the time. Student should have best spots.

Schmitt: Look into it? Now only event parking is in grass, frustrating for students.

Lundborg: Committee work is what we are doing right now.

Gust: Good to talk about this, love what JoNes said. Agrees with Schmitt. Lots of unused space and lots of events. Unfair to students paying tons of money for parking who get tickets when they can't find a spot that they payed for, then get ticketed for not moving whenever 2am rolls around.

c. Courtyard Caf – chair not here, looking into revamping courtyard caf.

Nigro: Survey on Wed morning.

d. Ethics Committee report.

i. Blake Gust in violation of constitution by way of multiple complaints.

Gust was formally reprimanded on Friday.

IX. Old Business

X. New Business

a. Sande: Readership program updates, they are getting rid of the readers because they are expensive to operate and are relics of a forgotten age that will someday be in a museum of collegiate readership. They don't anticipate the alternative being a problem for students getting their newspapers. Also, we can't get Wall Street Journal, they don't participate in the program.

Ostendorf: Paperwork on the senate office door if anyone wants to see details of contract renewal.

Gust: How would we address potential abuse?

Sande: They will solve problems if they arise

Goldstein: Other schools have open racks?

Ostendorf: Faculty using student copies, we are smaller, papers don't tend to run out, not anticipating a problem.

JoNes: Hates getting old. Deliverers have to count the number that are not taken anyways, easy to get them to tell us that in order to address changing trends in readership. Shocked if we see a market climb.

Lundborg: We don't pay for papers that aren't taken. Guilt is a powerful thing, put a sign up that says student only. Guilt.

b. Miller: debate about sound system and Musical Bar charging for its use?

Although it was not paid for with senate money, not clear to all students about how it works, can we do something?

Coco: Can groups ask for allocation from us?

Best: Wouldn't support that from a senate standpoint.

Jen: We have two sound systems, they own the large one.

Coco: College doesn't have one, only available to students that can afford it. DLC can't afford it and can't fund people, this is an expense that the college should take up.

JoNes: Please get numbers, I'll look into it.

Schmitt: Given to them because SAO doesn't know how to run it.

Ostendorf: This is important, let's have someone look into this and fact find so we can do something. Media services? They have people working all the time that can run this. Not fair to always ask them to pay out of their 9line and fundraise for this service.

Goldstein: Proclaim uses it for free, not just Musical Bar.

Schmitt: Agree, Tech services can easily cover this with student employees that have to work on campus every night of the week that many times don't do anything.

JoNes: If I look into it can we stop talking about it.

Nigro: This sounds like a job for, Student Academic Affairs!!

Cabrera: Dues to Musical Bar pay for this service.

Thayer: Proclaim uses for free? Groups have to pay for a Bar person to run it.

Goldstein: Not just any Bar member can use, must be trained.

Coco: I've heard individual complaints, Student Senate has a better position to deal with this.

c. Gust: New Gustie lion heads are terrible, Lion Head Committee?

Hoppe: Went to an outside firm, don't want to change it because students voted on it.

Gust: Wasn't given out to students to try and we have an awesome art department. Only three heads, we paid for these? We have to pick one, it looks like because we had to vote on one that we wanted it, but nobody likes any of these.

JoNes: No idea what marketing and communications is doing about it, I assume they read the paper and the angry editorials.

Gust: Is there a way to look into it Hoppe or JoNes?

JoNes: Previous mascot was only intended for athletics, got into branding violations with other departments using it. Move towards more uniform branding is what caused this change. Students are not typically contacted for branding decisions, only with the Dive.

Hoppe: Could you ask them why they went with outside consulting firm? Can we as a Senate use it?

JoNes: Shocked if answer was anything other than "old gus is dead to us"

Allen: Should we make a resolution?

Gust: We need more information first.

Lundborg: I like the dark 'Scar' one. This is people not liking change. It makes sense that when you are rebranding that you would look towards outside resources instead of looking inward.

Complaining about change impedes progress, this is going to happen. Moves to open discussion. Motion Fails.

Sande: Agree to some extent, more that students are upset at not having a say rather than upset at change. Please stop talking I'm tired of writing ☹

JoNes: Marketing probably thought that they were responding to students.

Gust: Lionhead Committee was started to save the lion, to stop the shield, not to pick a new lion head.

Coco: We could protest if you want, let me know.

Hoppe: I worked on this committee, felt like Lionhead was for students.

JoNes: I think student groups can use the old lion head all they want. Bookstore can't sell it, Student Senate shouldn't because it has more responsibility, but average students can surely still use it.

Hoppe: Derp.

Ostendorf: We are still talking, having defeated the motion for discussion. Let's stop.

Prince: It gets tricky when we limit what people talk about.

Nelson: Trying to end new business.

Dexter: Let it run or move to move to announcements.

Nelson moves to end debate, fails.

Allen: Can we get more info?

JoNes: I'll look into it.

XI. Announcements

- a. Gust: Women's empowerment week!!
- b. Lundborg: Save the Jterm! 3 members, let's get more!
- c. Henrickson: Veteran apparel see me after
- d. Thayer: Curling club will be putting old Gus on their stuff
- e. Coco: Education under fire, March 23rd 7pm Alumni?!
- f. Nigro: S/A Committee meets Thursday chapel break, interested in joining fraternity? join OK's!!!

- g. Prince: Context on Education Under fire.
 - a. Coco more context
 - b. Come to architect thing.
 - c. Another Safe Zone training!
- h. Fox: Courtyard committee if you want to talk to them
- i. Gust: It's finance season, direct students to Gustie Den or Jessye. Meeting with faculty committee about whether we should have a panel to approve student groups.